Sunday, May 13, 2012

Movie Review: The Grey - Struggling Against Nature's Ice Cold Fangs

It was a regular Saturday night. I was at home feeling kind of bored when I thought to myself “I need a badass action movie”, and what better candidate than a movie starring Liam Neeson? Man, am I glad I was bored! It’s still early in 2012 and there are some big titles I haven’t yet seen, for instance The Avengers and The Hobbit. However, I can safely say that The Grey is one of the best movies of the year. Yes, it’s that good!

The plot is pretty simple. A plane crashes in Alaska with only seven survivors. They have to find a way to survive in the cruel, unforgiving cold. What makes their situation even worse, much worse, is that they are being bullied to death by a pack of not so friendly wolves. Luckily, Ottway (Liam Neeson) is a professional hunter who does what he can to keep the wolves at bay.

There are a number of factors that make this movie so good.
The first one is the plane crash in the beginning of the movie. It was incredibly well done. It was so well shot that it actually felt like you were inside the plane, fearing for your life. Now I’m not easily scared when watching a movie, but The Grey succeeded in startling me on numerous occasions and this was only one of them. A highly memorable way to kick off a movie.

The second factor is the attacks of the wolves. We don’t get to see that much of the wolves, the attacks happen very fast and it’s pretty chaotic. You don’t really know exactly what is going on until the aftermath. But that’s pretty much how I imagine being attacked by angry wolves is like, swift, brutal with a huge adrenaline rush. That is what makes those scenes so terrifying. That, and amazingly well done howls that will bring chills down your spine.

Thirdly, of course, is the acting. A good movie needs good acting like macaroni needs cheese. And this movie has some very good cheese. All the characters have complicated personalities with real issues and emotions. They make this movie feel very real. We get some really strong performances by actors like Frank Grillo, Dermot Mulroney and Dallas Roberts. Even the comic relief character played by Joe Anderson, who did a great job, makes us feel very empathetic. But the man who truly carries this movie to the top with an incredible performance is Liam Neeson. He is still as badass as ever, but his character is also very much just a human being. He is a tormented man who feels fear just like any man would in that situation. We feel pity for his character, but we also admire him and what he does to survive.

The last point that distinguishes this movie from the average, or even the good, is the ending. The ending is so incredibly badass I almost jumped out of my seat yelling “YEAAAAH!!!” However, I won’t go into any further details, because I don’t want give anything away.

Bottom line is, this movie is not just good, it’s great. Go watch it, you won’t regret it.

This was my first review, I hope you enjoyed it. Leave me a comment with your thoughts on the review, or on the movie itself. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say. If you have any movies you want me to review, send me an e-mail at: nuggettreviews@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment